A resolution to condemn property on South 25th Street, along with bids and contracts were passed during Tuesday’s meeting of the Arkadelphia City Board of Directors.

A resolution to condemn property on South 25th Street, along with bids and contracts were passed during Tuesday’s meeting of the Arkadelphia City Board of Directors.
City Code Enforcement Officer Thomas Free requested the condemnation of a home at 208 South 25th Street.
According to Free, a letter was sent to the owner to inform them that the issue would be on the agenda for the Jan. 16 meeting of the Arkadelphia City Board of Directors. Directors did not meet on Jan. 16 due to winter weather, therefore the item was moved to Tuesday’s agenda.
Free noted the property had originally been condemned approximately six years ago, but the home was not torn down. A violation report was filed by Free in 2014 requesting repairs on the house or demolition, but no changes have been made.
“The roof has got a whole in it, raccoons are living inside of it and there are people in the neighborhood complaining about health and welfare and safety,” Free said.
According to Free, once the house is torn down, the property owner will be notified and will be given an opportunity to pay the city back for their services. Should the property owner not reimburse the city, the city will put a lien on the property.
Other items addressed:
• Directors approved the city’s service contract in the amount of $30,000 with the Arkadelphia Alliance for 2018.
• The board approved an amendment to its demolition contract with Graylee LLC for demolition of the former hospital, located at 1420 Pine Street.
The change was made to reflect an increase in diesel prices. The increase will raise the total contract price by $6,000 to $52,385.
• Board members approved a bid from JCON in the amount of $89,680 for the Feaster Trail Connector project.
The project will link Feaster Trail on the east and west sides of North 10th Street by going under the roadway.
Director-at-Large Roland Gosey questioned about the possibility of having lights under the roadway as a means of providing security.
Arkadelphia City Manager Gary Brinkley reported he would check to see if the bid included lighting.
• A contract with Grimes Consulting Engineers, Inc. was approved for the first phase of engineering services at the Arkadelphia Municipal Airport.
The project will include improvements to the airport drainage and runway. The Federal Aviation Administration will pay for 90 percent of the contract, while the Arkansas Department of Aeronautics will contribute the remaining 10 percent on a reimbursable basis.
The drainage projects will be in 2018 FAA calendar and will be up to $525,000, while the runway rehabilitation will be in the 2019 FAA calendar and will be over $2.2 million.