There were 1027 entries from 26 daily newspapers as well as 1051 entries from 36 weekly newspapers. Winners were selected by members of the Texas Press Association.
The individual awards presented to the White Hall Journal are:
• Best Special Issue/Section, Journal Staff, first place, for their compilation of a series of photographs, community coverage in a series of special sections for the 2012 White Hall Founder's Day edition. "A lot of hard work and a lot of ads," read a judge's critique.
• Single News Photograph, Teresa Bennett, first place, for a picture of youth taking a dive in a dunking booth. Critiques from judges read, "The photo captured the emotions well" and "the frozen water helps the shot."
• Headline Writing, Teresa Bennett, second place, for the headline "Don't Waste Your Waste" a story about the mayor urging local residents to take advantage of the city's recycling efforts when disposing of their yard waste. According to a judges critique, it was "a great play on words".
• Freelance Writing, Ron Kelley, second place, for his weekly column on the Civil War, specifically, Armies used newspapers
• Best Beat Reporter, Teresa Bennett and Vicki Kelly, honorable mention, for Redfield coverage.
• Single Feature Photograph, Teresa Bennett, honorable mention, for a picture of area citizens uniting at military funeral under the threat of protestors.
The Stuttgart Daily Leader's Sarah Morris received first place for News Story in the smaller dailies division for her article concerning a millage vote and Stephanie Fischer won third place in the Single Sports Action Photograph category for her photograph, "Birds Top Ozark".
Daily Siftings Herald in Arkadelphia's Joe Phelps received first and second place in the In-Depth Series Reporting for his articles "Three Dead Following Weekend Attack" and "Sting Executed". Phelps also took third place for Best Beat Reporter. James Leigh received third place in the Sports Feature Story, for his story, "Sports Foster Change". In Headline Writing, Wendy Ledbetter took first place for her headline "A 'Foul' Situation". In Humorous Column, Ledbetter received second place for her column," Ever Thought About Catching Turkeys?".